Effective July 1st, 2010 per
Department of Community Health
Birth and Death Certificates Fees are
$25.00 for first copy
$5.00 for each additional copy on same day of service
The Probate Court of Houston County files, maintains, and issues all birth and death certificates that occurred in the county of Houston.
Birth certificates are not public record. There are a limited number of people who may apply to receive a certified copy of birth certificate
- Person listed on birth certificate
- Either natural parent of person on birth certificate (must be listed on birth certificate)
- Adoptive parents of person on birth certificate (adoptive parents names must be listed on birth certificate)
- Grandparents of person on birth certificate
- Siblings of person on birth certificate
- Spouse of person on birth certificate
***YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PICTURE IDENTIFICATION CARD TO OBTAIN A CERTIFIED COPY OF A BIRTH CERTIFICATE***
Death certificates are available to the public. However, OCGA (Chapter 31-10) and DHR Rules (290-1-03) prohibits the release of confidential medical information to anyone except the next of kin and other authorized persons.
Fees for Birth and Death Certificates
It is $25.00 for the first copy of a certificate and $5.00 for each additional copy of a certificate per visit. An application listing general information must be filled out by the requester on both birth and death certificates. You may request a copy in person, online or by mail.
To receive certified copies online
For your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that Houston County Probate Court has partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached through its website, www.vitalchek.com/houston-county-express-vital-records.aspx .
An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.
To request certified copies by mail
You may request a birth or death certificate by mail by following these directions:
- Complete a written request with the following information:
- Name as it should appear on the birth certificate
- Date of Birth
- Mother's name
- Father's name
- List your relationship to the person on the birth certificate (i.e. self, mother, father, etc.)
- Enclose a self addressed stamped envelope
- Number of certificates you are requesting
- Enclose a money order or check for the total amount of certificates you are requesting (fees listed above)
Out of county vital records
For Vital Records not occurring in Houston County, please visit VitalChek's home page and choose the appropriate location. Vitalchek.
For further information, please send Lisa Mitchell or Kristi Belflower an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
- www.cggs.org/ - Central Georgia Genealogy Society - A group of dedicated individuals from diverse backgrounds with a common interest: genealogy.
- www.gagensociety.org/links.htm - Website for the Georgia Genealogical Society. Includes Georgia specific links (Genealogy societies, libraries, reference topics, etc) and links to general sites.
- www.ancestry.com - A fee-based website, but allows free trial use. Searchable by name, historical records. Includes several links to local resources like census records, military records, reference/finding aids, etc.